Response & Updates
We are open for business!
All centres have a COVID-19 Safety Plan in place, meeting, and in many cases exceeding, all government requirements in relation to COVID-19. Many of the initiatives in place will have an impact on how you use your YMCA. Please review the below changes and initiatives to help ensure a positive experience.
As of Friday, 21 August:
Following the South Australian government’s recent announcement, all YMCA South Australia Recreation and Community Centres are required to have a COVID Marshal on duty at all staffed times from Friday 21 August 2020
We are committed to taking the required steps to reduce the transmission of COVID-19 and have allocated a COVID marshal, distinguished by a hi-vis vest.
The COVID Marshal’s role is to ensure all aspects of our centres COVID Safe Plan are being maintained. We ask all valued customers to help us keep SA strong and safe, follow the rules and treat our marshals with respect as they work to help stop the spread.
Almost all YMCA services and programs are either reactivated or in the process of reopening. While we have a variety of measures implemented aligned to our Covid-19 Safety Plans (detailed on this page), for the most part, expect business as usual as of Friday, 19 June.
The following restrictions are still in place:
- Density requirements ease to 1 person per 2 square metres
- This eases occupancy restrictions in most amenity areas. Some spaces, such as change rooms, will have a signed max occupancy which must be adhered to.
- Government-mandated closures: water fountains, gym fans.
- Members can easily book Group Fitness through the new YMCA SA App. Some classes may have slightly reduced occupancy.
Details of how easing restrictions will apply:
- Pools have reopened. Swimming Lessons and Aqua Aerobics will start Monday 20 July.
- Change rooms and showers are open. Some communal showers may be restricted for social distancing.
- 24/7 is open..
- KidsClub (childminding) and PlayCafe are open! In line with CovidSafe policies, social distancing remains 1person per 2 square metres, and attendees must follow safe hygiene practices. No more than one caregiver per child. No socks, no play. Equipment will be cleaned throughout the day.
- Group Fitness is back to normal – plus it’s never been easier to book Group Fitness with the new YMCA SA App (maximum of 3 ‘active’ bookings at any one time, up to 2 per day).
- You will no longer need to book ‘Activity Sessions’ in the gym or pool through the App - just drop-in as usual.
- All Access Member benefits of Reciprocal Rights with other YMCA locations, Free Child Membership access, and Free Friends Friday
- Aiming for Swimming Lessons to restart (expand below for details)
Expand each Centre amenity/service for further details
Please be aware that all memberships will resume on Tuesday, 9 June. If you wish to return at a later time, we have made suspension very flexible – simply complete the online form. In consideration that the pool is currently unavailable, we will provide complimentary suspension until the pool is reopened. Further, the Council has agreed to our request to reduce membership fees by 20% until the pool is back operational.
Your last direct debit was on 12 March before the centre closed on 23 March. This means you received 11 days of access and are entitled to 3 days of ‘credit’ from this previous debit period in March. The next direct debit will be on 18 June, which will account for credit owed as well as access between 9 June and 17 June. We know it’s complicated, but rest assured, you will not pay for any days you did not have access to the facility.
All memberships will resume automatically as of 9 June 2020 unless a request for continued to suspension is submitted. An online form has been made available to conveniently submit this suspension request. The online suspension form will close at Noon, 16 June.
Visit Passes & Upfront Memberships
The expiry of visit passes and upfront (prepaid) memberships will be extended by the length of closure. This will be applied automatically, there is no need to contact the centre.
Aligned to Stage 3 of easing restrictions and pool repair work completing, with a few program amendments we can resume all Swimming Lesson memberships. Most classes will resume as per prior to closure (same day and time), and we will be in touch with the small number of families where a change in time is required.
The YMCA has implemented some changes to the program and your experience in centre to meet, and in many cases exceed government and peak body requirements and guidelines.
The last direct debit payment was made on 12/03 and the centre closed on 23/03. As such, if you have a lesson on Monday through to Wednesday, we still owe you a lesson. For students in classes on Thursday through to Sunday, you will only receive one class between the restart of the direct debit (16/07) and the next direct debit (30/07). With this in mind, all students in Whyalla Swimming Lessons will only pay 50% of the usual amount to ensure no overpayments and we deliver what you have paid for.
Unfortunately, we are unable to ‘suspend’ and hold your spot in a class. As such if you are unable to resume swimming lessons, to prevent fees being paid on 16/07 you must complete cancellation prior to 02/07 (standard 2 weeks cancellation notice).
Our Response to COVID-19
Our response to COVID-19 is constantly changing to adapt to updates in restrictions and industry best practice.
- We are meticulously cleaning and sanitising the centre more than ever before. You will see us throughout the day sanitising high contact locations (doors, handles, equipment, etc). In addition, every evening professional cleaners sanitise our facilities and have been briefed on COVID-19 specific cleaning requirements.
- You will see plenty of signage and communications reinforcing density/occupancy, social distancing and enhanced hygiene measures. In addition to informing you of these requirements, the signage is also present to remind you of the important role you play.
- Come ready to work out, exercise and be active - government recommendation is to keep visits within 1.5 hours.
- Hygiene stations will be placed at entrances and throughout our centres. Please use hand sanitizer frequently, upon entering, exiting, and throughout your time in the centre.
- Proactively monitored by staff, we ask our customers to abide by occupancy/density restrictions. Signage will be placed accordingly reinforcing social distancing requirements (1.5m distances) and noting specific occupancy limits in spaces.
- Customers showing cold/flu-like indications (cough, fever and/or respiratory symptoms) are not permitted in the facility until these symptoms have cleared for a number of days.
- We strongly encourage payment by EFTPOS (debit card/credit card/mobile payment).
- Whenever possible members will be directed online for new memberships, program enrollments, group fitness bookings, outstanding balance payments, etc.
- Water fountains will be temporarily unavailable. Please bring a filled water bottle from home or purchase bottled water from our cafe.
- We encourage all staff and customers to download the COVIDSafe app. All staff have completed COVID-19 infection control training.
- Member and visit pass holder attendance is tracked via card scanning and will be used for contact tracing purposes if required.